Breaking News

Monday, March 30, 2015

What is a Cover Letter



"http://schema.org/BlogPosting" readability="113.698412698">
From

my survey while communicating with job seekers on BBM, one of the

most widely asked questions is : “What is a Cover Letter”. 

I will put you through on this and also show you a sample

template which you can always use in applying for jobs.


"more">

According to Google, A Cover Letter is defined as “A letter

sent with, and explaining the contents of, another document or a

parcel of goods
.”


A cover letter typically accompanies each CV/resume you send

out to provide additional information on why or how you are

qualified for the job you are applying for.



Effective cover letters explain the reasons for your interest

in the specific job in an organization and identify your most

relevant skills or experiences.



Your cover letter could make the difference between obtaining a

job interview and having your resume ignored, so it makes good

sense to devote the necessary time and effort to writing

effective cover letters.

A cover letter should complement, not duplicate, your resume. A

cover letter is critical in creating a very good first

impression.



Cover letters are generally one page at most in length, divided

into a header, introduction, body, and closing



Below is a template/blueprint I have suggested for you in

writing your cover letters:



APPLICANT ADDRESS



RECRUITER ADDRESS 



SALUTATION



Dear [insert name of recruiting manager],



BODY



First paragraph: Mention the job you’re applying for

and where you found the job listing.



Middle paragraphs: Discuss your qualifications. These

paragraphs should be specifically tailored to requirements

posted in the job listing. You might also consider including

why this specific company interested you in the first place.

Limit this section to two to three paragraphs.



Final paragraph: If you are going to follow up in one

to two weeks, mention a specific date. If you would prefer to

leave the ball in their court, say that you look forward to

discussing your qualifications further. Also provide your email

address and phone number. Don’t forget to thank them for their

time.



CLOSE



Best Regards,



[insert your name]



Also, below is a Sample real world Cover Letter that follows

the template above:



                                                                                                            



Emeka Taiwo Ahmed



20 Second Ave.



Surulere, Lagos



April 7, 2013



The Human Resource Manager



XYZ Company



123 Central District.



Abuja, Nigeria 



Dear Sir/Madam,



I am interested in the Coordinator position advertised on

ABC Media. Given my related experience and excellent

capabilities I would appreciate your consideration for this job

opening. My skills are an ideal match for this position.



As a professional administrative assistant with excellent

research skills, I am eager to contribute my abilities and

experience to XYZ Company. Given my extensive training and

background, I believe I can help XYZ Company meet its goal of

providing only the most accurate and timely information to its

clients.  



Please find enclosed my resume and a list of my references.

Feel free to call me at 1234567890, to arrange a time to meet.

I look forward to hearing from you.



Sincerely,



Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.



I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any career related

questions, whether generic or specific to job search in

Nigeria. If I can, I will always answer and post it on this

blog for other people to learn from it.



If you are on my BBM list, you can easily ping me your

questions. If you are not, I’m sorry I cant accept any more BBM

requests(My contact list is full to it’s limit). However, you

can contact me via email at info[at]jobzilla[dot]ng





Designed By